Monday, February 10, 2014

I Am In Kingman, Kansas


Hello everybody, I am currently in Kingman Kansas for 2 months (maybe). When we were flying from SLC to Colorado we arrived in Colorado to a huge snow storm. We arrived late to the airport. We were all scared that we will miss our connecting flight to Kansas. But nope, our flight was canceled and the next flight wasn’t until that night at 8:00 pm. So all 21 of us that are going to Kansas had to sit around the airport for about 13 hours! My companion and I went and found a empty terminal and went to sleep. We only had about two hours sleep previous to getting up. We walked up and down the airport about 5 to 6 times that day. I figured it was about 1 mile to walk round trip in the small terminal. In the afternoon we found out that if the flight was to be cancelled due to the weather we would not be on another flight until the next day at 8:00pm. So we all congregated and prayed. My companion and I walked around the airport again. As we were walking back to the group of missionaries a man was chasing and yelling for my companion and I. We turned around and talked to him. He was a member of the church and he worked there at the airport. As we talked to him he asked if he could do anything for us? I said if you know of a place in the airport that is quieter that could hold 21 of us for the night that would be nice" he said well I can’t get you on another plane but I can get you a hotel. We were so excited!! But we ended up not needing the hotel. It was nice to see such a nice person! He was guided by god for sure! Our flight finally arrived later than what was posted. By this time I was getting really cranky and impatient. I also was not going to sit in Economy again with no foot space! So my companion and I went to the desk and asked if we could get first class. They were all booked up. So I noticed there were seats sitting right behind first class which was just like first class without the extra services. We were so happy!! We went and sat down in our seats and kicked back. Well lo and behold the man sitting next to us was sippin back a few jack's and was looking at stuff that was inappropriate. I had a voice in my head that said "I got you better seats for free now you do my work" I did not know how to talk to this man. He was listening to his Beats so we could not just say "Hey". So I bent over and prayed that my comp and I would be able to talk with this man! My comp was doing the same thing we later found out. (Praying). So all of a sudden this man started talking to us. Previously he did not say anything. So we communicated with each other. He asked “who are you guys I never sit by people wearing the same attire as I.” We told him who we are. He replied "oh so you are going to preach to me. I said no we are not. He went off talking and said well I can’t live without a little sin in my life what about you guys? (He handed us his "quote" magazine) I said no I have been there and done that and I am here now. He started walking out and I quickly asked him if we could talk with him sometime and he said ok. I said do you have a name? He replied giving me his company name. So now I have a duty to find out where this man works. I want to bring him the peace that has been in my life. I was so ecstatic! I told my comp that I was hesitant to talk with him especially just getting out of the MTC and not being confident. I told my comp if we did not talk to that man I would have booked a returning flight back to Utah! The moral of the story! Always pray for miracles. As missionaries and member missionaries as we are doing his work He will always find a way to communicate with each other! It was a great night! Oh wait I'm not done! As we met the mission pres we all went out to load up the trailer with our luggage in the freezing weather. We lined up at the trailer and we opened the doors and the Assistants to the President brought the wrong trailer. It was full of furniture!! They had to go back to the home and get the "Empty trailer". We were once again stuck in the airport! We did not get back to the home until 1:00am! Thank goodness the Mission Pres let us sleep in!


In the town of Kingman there are about 20 different churches. It is hard because everybody out here is so devoted to their religion. My Companion is Elder Sutherland from San Diego. The apartment is nice but it really needs some cleaning. Kingman city is really small and has only had missionaries in it since November. That makes me the third missionary here. We taught an older couple that is amazing last week! We walked to their house and they invited us in and made us hot chocolate. So we chatted with them and they love the Mormons. The wife has gone to Temple Square and felt the spirit. Also, a friend that she has gave her a Book of Mormon. This lady we taught has treasured that book with her heart. As we left we knew they would get baptized. I knew that The Lord has prepared the soil for us and I knew they were so ready. But we went back and taught them The Restoration. After I invited them to Baptism they denied because they just loved their church so much they could not leave it. I was bummed! But we are going back to meet with them this coming week and they said they will possibly come to church this week. They would have but they were busy this past Sunday. I really just think these people need the influence of the actual members and a taste of what Mormon life is and The Lord will slowly work with them as we teach with them. This couple loves the missionaries because they love their faith and loves people that go out of their way to proclaim what we (Mormons) believe in. They said we are taking you in as our adopted children. They are so nice to us!!


Yesterday we went to a man’s house that I have never met before. We sat with the man and followed up on what was previously taught. He knew the church is true but his wife is strong in her religion and does not want to be part of the Mormon religion. She doesn’t have anything towards Mormons she just likes her faith. Her husband said I can’t go against her even though I know its true. He said if I was to go ask her again it would be like I was spitting on her shoes. I learned to love this man! I only knew him for a few minutes also! I don’t do that either. He has been through many addictions in his past and invited us to come to his recovery meetings. He loved them so much! I told him that I have attended my own classes. He was shocked when I said that! We just grew that brutha (I’m not allowed to say that) love! So I said I totally understand that he can’t go against his wife. I really respected this man! But my comp said that this Gospel is centered around families. So we are going to talk with him and her in a few weeks. We can’t wait to meet with them again.


We met a couple that is really religious also! He was awesome! I started getting into politics with him. I had to pull back because we can’t talk about politics as missionaries. It was my favorite subject! Media and the effects it has on society! I can go off on that!! Anyways this couple has a great religious background in Catholicism. We shared our message and we talked more about nothing. FOR JAMES AND KRISTI: As we pulled up to this couples house they had a long bed Dodge pickup with a front cattle bumper on it. (Can’t think of the name of it) and I immediately thought it was a Weatherford truck. But I dismissed that thought. As we get in the house we started talking and he said he has crazy work schedules. He said that he was an offshore driller for Weatherford. I said that my cousin’s husband worked for Weatherford not too long ago. Pretty ironic!


I love being on a mission and feeling the spirit! I can’t wait to see who I become in the next 23 half months! Thanks for all the prayers and all that each and every one of you do for me and my family! And to all of those waiting to go on a mission read and memorize the 42 different points in the Preach my Gospel. At the end of each lesson there are different lengths of ways to teach the lessons. Memorize these! Love each and every one of you! Good luck with civilian life! LOL


Hopefully next week Taylor can send some pictures. 
Here are some pictures we found on a Google search:


 Taylor's new home.

 He is on the upper floor.

 Main Street Shopping

Kingman Carneghie Library
This is where Taylor goes to send the his emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment